Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Whatserface, you can go to the thrift store . . .

This weekend, I went out to L.A. to do some vintage-clothes shopping (by myself on Saturday and with my roommate on Sunday). And, I gotta tell ya, I found some pretty cool stuff. Saturday I visited 3 vintage stores, the best of which were Ozzie Dots and Jet Rag. There's not much interesting to say about Jet Rag, except that they've got a TON of stuff and the prices are mostly reasonable (approx $12 a shirt and $16 a dress) and that I got some cute stuff there. Ozzie Dots, on the other hand, had some really interesting stuff (i guess the owner gets a lot of old movie and theatre costumes when they're done being used) but I didn't buy very much--just what i could scrounge up from the $1 rack. I do however, plan to make another visit there sometime before I leave.

Sunday was really cool bcz I went to a flea market (or swap-meet as they're called here) in Pasadena. It was really really cool; there was tons of vintage stuff and clothes, and I got some AMAZING New-Kids-On-The-Block buttons, as well as a pretty cool I LIKE IKE button which I bought with Sari in mind (and, if you don't already have one, I'd like to make a gift of it to you ^^). We stopped at a couple clothes places, and I got a cute polyester green button down and a couple cute sweaters, one of which would probably look amazing on Araby (alas, it's a little too small for me) but the crowning achievement of the day was this unbelievably cool mod 60's go-go dress, which I've painstakingly recreated for you in this MS-Paint drawing:




Of course, the drawing is cooler than the real thing (ha!) but oh my god i don't think i've ever made a purchase this cool before. Granted my "cutest coat ever" and my "cutest jacket ever" were almost on similar footing, but both of those cost me over $30, whereas this dress only cost me $15. $15!!! I'd bet you this would go for at least $40 on eBay. Soooo cool! And it even fits me--tho barely (it's so tight i can't even wear a bra; luckily it's so tight i don't need a bra). Anyways, all I need is a good reason to wear it . . .

did I mention to some of you I don't get reimbursed for sick time when i leave? Perhaps I should come down with the flu sometime in late October . . .

9 Comments:

Blogger Ubiquitous Leader SK said...

Awwww...you'd gift me your I Like Ike button!!!!! That's SOOOOO awesome. I had one in high school that I would always wear on my jacket until one day I was trying to shove said jacket into my ridiculously small locker and the button part became separated from the pin part. I cried. I really really cried.

That makes you one of the best people EVER Jess. Don't worry...it wasn't like I was doubting that before or anything.

9/06/2005 10:39 PM  
Blogger Queen Jezebel the Wicked said...

Well then, the button is most definitely yours :)

I forgot to also mention this AWESOME postcard i will be sending to Araby . . . just as soon as she tells me her address again :D

9/06/2005 10:55 PM  
Blogger Queen Jezebel the Wicked said...

oh yes, and the belt buckle is sparkly rhinestone sliver, not beige like the belt and ruffle fabric.

THATs how cool it is.

9/06/2005 10:56 PM  
Blogger Dragonslippers said...

word(to sarah's comment).

go ahead and take some sick leave for me---i'm totally sick right now and i'd love some leave from shouting things in quasi-japanese every day....don't think its helping my throat for some reason...

9/07/2005 10:26 AM  
Blogger Josephine Lee said...

why are u shouting things in quasi-japanese?

9/07/2005 5:38 PM  
Blogger Ubiquitous Leader SK said...

Haha....I do want to know why you're shouting them. At least I just say them in my normal cheerful tone of voice.

9/07/2005 8:18 PM  
Blogger da bito said...

Jess, you roxor. I must totally buy you the plastic toy baby launching catapult now.

9/07/2005 8:30 PM  
Blogger Dragonslippers said...

correction. As of yesterday I WAS shouting things in quasi-japanese, but happily i will no longer be doing that as i just dropped my japanese class.

the reason i posted that was b/c in my japanese discussion, our TA would drill us again and again on jap. words and would encourage us to shout them...i have to say, that was fun.

i was enjoying that class, but it is just WAY too much work for me now, esp since my focus has shifted from the freshman-oknowihavetadolotsofintroworkallthetimemylifeisastudentnothingelseexists to supersenior-howthehellcanigetoutofhereasquicklyaspossibleANDgetagoodjobupongraduation

9/08/2005 9:23 AM  
Blogger Queen Jezebel the Wicked said...

WHAT?! PLASTIC BABY LAUNCHING CATAPULT?!!

OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU ARABY!!!

9/08/2005 10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home