Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Staying Connected

I am thinking about testing a Voice Over IP software at home, but I will need some help. The last few months, I have been working with applications that allow you to make phone calls over the internet for free and now, I want to try it at home. There are linux software out there that works, but I know Linux is painful. Believe me, I struggled for couple months in trying to get VOIP to work with a linux box (read OFFICE SPACE post). If you have Windows, download skype at www.skype.com. It will be fun to talk and test this software. You will need headphones and a microphone. Please check your security because if you have firewall turned on, it will be difficult to get out.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dragonslippers said...

skype, huh? you know, some of my friends from Glasgow were telling about that and suggesting it as a way of calling each other for cheap internationally.....do you know how it works?

8/02/2005 11:09 AM  
Blogger Sauce said...

I only used skype for like 1 hour to test it out at work. The user interface and functionality is similar to AIM, but it has its flaws. I am not sure why this is, but some times skype forgets your username. I just create another one. The problem usually occurs on a linux box, so if you have Windows there should be no problem.

I need to find another tv cable provider. Comcast is screwing me over. They are moving the Scifi channel to digital. What am I gonna do without BATTLESTAR GALACTICA?

8/02/2005 11:20 AM  
Blogger Dragonslippers said...

Battlestar Galatica!!!!

oh God john....you have to know that i have just gotten addicted to that show.....

i didn't watch it until a few weeks ago, one day before the new 2nd season, when they had an All-Day Marathon where i watched about 8 hours in a row, thus catching up on the season i missed(you can do this when you live at home and don't have a job).

Though i did miss the new episode last friday...i think they replay it the next week on another channel...

i think i'm becoming more nerdier with age...Sari, count me on the Nerd-blog-thing.

8/02/2005 11:32 AM  
Blogger Ubiquitous Leader SK said...

Hmm..skype eh? And this would let me call for cheap internationally. Like to, say, Korea??? Hmmmmmmm...I shall look into this! Thanks Sauce!!

Also...yay for Steph liking my nerd blogging!!!!

8/02/2005 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home