Monday, November 14, 2005

I need some help!!!!!!!!!

Ok.....Hi to all. As my final project for my Cartography class I have to.........make a map. Of something (as you'll notice I have a strong interest in mapping Japan.....and mapping data that likely don't have ANYTHING to do with nature or wildlife--it's really my last shot to make a non natural resources map). Ok.....so, I have a lot of ideas going through my head and I'm honestly not sure how feasible any of them are right now based on data or my skill/desire to make complicated flow line maps (which most of these will likely require), but......I have to write a proposal by November 22 so I need to make a decision rather quick-like. And so...........I employ your help, trusted friends around the world. I'll list some options, you guys give me your top 3 choices. Ideally I'll have this completely decided by Friday so I can start thinking about the proposal over the weekend (so it can ruin my fun in Minnesota.......stupid grad school). I'll keep checking on the data feasibility for the rest of the week while you guys are sending me your votes, so hopefully I can eliminate any maps that I think might not work. So, without further ado...........Choices for Sari's final project in "make pretty maps":

1. Railway map of Japan showing density/flow of rail traffic (ideally which lines are more popular than other lines)
2. Japanese imports/exports to other countries (varying both amount and categorical type)
3. Traffic at all the airports in Japan to show which is most popular (Narita) and where people are flying to Japan from.
4. (Change of theme) Areas of support for implementation of a light rail system in Madison.
5. Areas of support for building a new baseball stadium in Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area.
6. Map of the nature preserve whose name I never remember but Hagen knows in Japan (somehow tying this in to surrounding area--Bri had a really good idea but I didn't write it down so I don't remember anymore).


Ok.......that's what I got. Let the voting begin!! I need your help, I trust you people with this stuff!!!!!!!!!!

Hugs and kisses,
Sari

7 Comments:

Blogger Frankie said...

I'm taking two votes, one for number 1 and one for number 3. :-) Yay, I get to procrastinate reading a 2 page article for my short course class.

Okay, well, I'll be the one in the class to read it. *sigh*

Panda

11/14/2005 2:11 PM  
Blogger Queen Jezebel the Wicked said...

lol any of 1-5 sound good, but as i have no idea what 6 would actually be a map of, i really can't say go for it.

Hey! Maybe you could make a map of my supervisor . . . hear me out! he's a very large man that warrants a very large map!

Anyways, here's my idea: it could be kinda like a giant 2-dimensional voodoo doll that I can stick with pushpins when I'm bored and not feeling particularly doormat-ish.

like you could outline all his most breakable joints in red and label these areas in the legend like, "twist here to scare him away from the office for 3 more weeks" and maybe do his skull as one big bullseye with "hit here with large blunt object when you want him to forget about those other 3 gene regions he wants you to sequence" in the legend. His hands should be brown, which should correspond to the caption: "please god, please make him remeber to wash his hands this time". And on his chest and stomach just make sure the entire area is one color and
that the caption in the legend says "button your shirt button your shirt FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CAN'T YOU SEE YOUR SHIRT'S COMING UNBUTTONED?!!! LOOK DOWN AT YOUR FUCKING CHEST AND BUTTON YOUR SHIRT!!! OH THE HUMANITY!!"

You don't need to draw anything below that . . . actually, please don't draw anything below that, unless you plan on drawing a black hole that can swallow all light and consciousness . . . that'd be acceptable too.


. . . orrrr youuu could go with #3! Yeah, the number 3 is a good number, and I like airplanes and travel . . .

11/14/2005 2:14 PM  
Blogger Josephine Lee said...

ok first of all...what's all the hype abt japan??? why not draw a map of korea??? hahaha, ok fine, i'm just kidding...

i go for number three... but instead of a map showing all the people going into japan... draw a map of all the japanese people flying to korea to get plastic surgery done... that'd be mighty interesting... ;)

11/14/2005 4:40 PM  
Blogger Ubiquitous Leader SK said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA..........Jess, I wish I could. I really wish I could.

Jo......that made me laugh so hard I nearly peed myself.

Panda.....way to be a responsible Short Courser.

Thanks for the votes AND the entertainment!!!!!

11/14/2005 5:59 PM  
Blogger Queen Jezebel the Wicked said...

lol i totally vote for OPTION JO!!!

11/14/2005 11:07 PM  
Blogger da bito said...

I like #5 - it seems like it would be really interesting for you and have a lot of information you can access...in English.

11/15/2005 7:49 PM  
Blogger Ubiquitous Leader SK said...

Yes.....there's a LOT of Japanese census data. But I'm finding that I'm sketchy on what a quarter to a third of it actually means. I've got to make some phone calls about the TC data though. I found a summary, but it doesn't go into a ton of detail.

Thanks for the vote Bito!!!!

11/15/2005 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home