Thursday, December 08, 2005

Well Shit.

So, I went to CALS computer lab today to talk to the people about a job, but apparently Lelah got the last one. Which is fine cause it’s my fault I’m slow or something like that, only now I have to find a job. Damn. And that one was perfect too. See, my dilemma is this. Since I have to do this giganto graduate project next semester which will likely require most of the daytime hours aside from the 9 that I’m working for TNC and the 13ish that I will be in class, I’ll probably have to get a job at night. This, obviously, seriously cuts into my homework time. If I had a night job right now I think I would die. Unless, of course, it were a night job where I got to sit in a computer lab. See, if I were in a computer lab (particularly one as little used as the CALS lab where I’d be in a separate room even and no one really comes in anyway so I could just sit there with Illustrator and make my maps to my heart’s content, it would be ideal. Cause there are jobs where you could work and do your homework, but when your homework requires the use of Adobe Illustrator you’re a bit more constricted.

Option 2 is that I DON’T get a job and try to subsist on my 80 bucks a week. Now, considering I’m making more than that (only slightly cause the hospital pays like shit, but more nonetheless) now and just paying rent and bills puts me $22 overbudget each month, I don’t really see this one working unless I want to give up my trip to Korea to see Hagen because simply existing in society is going to require more money than I have. So. Job for me. But where. I mean, I could work retail somewhere and I wouldn’t hate it (Sedona is hiring and I want to go see about the place where Puzzlebox used to be with all the Japanese stuff but I’m scared to ask them for a job because there are ALL Asians working there and I don’t really fit in so they will probably laugh at me), but then……no homework will get done and I will almost NEVER see any of you because I will always either be working or busting my ass to get my homework done. And I still won’t make more money than I did at the hospital, the only difference is that I can work on weekends. Which gives me even less time to do my homework or hang out with you guys.

Option 3 is trying to find another computer lab that needs a student, but I fear that working at one of the busier ones I would be expected to a. have more knowledge about the workings of computers and software and things (ie be more techy or have a compsci major) than I can prove I know and b. not just sit and do my maps on the computer cause I’ll be way out in the open and probably even working with someone else. Plus I don’t know where they would be hiring. I guess I’ll look and see about it, maybe there’s another cozy small one like CALS that no one goes to or knows about. I don’t know of one, but maybe that’s proving my point.

So, yeah. No idea what I’m gonna do. Any suggestions beyond "stop freaking out" are appreciated.

3 Comments:

Blogger Frankie said...

Well, if it helps: the job I got is only because I can work on Thursday afternoons. No one else that applied could and there was only one position. On top of that, I'm working to 5 at the latest.

All too perfect for me, cause then I can work in both jobs AND still be able to hang out. Not so perfect for you.

Other labs:
Steenbach obviously doesn't care what you do. The lab helpers are always playing solitare or something of that nature.
There is the computer lab in Van Hise. Relatively small and no one can see your computer screen except others that are working with you. However, I don't think this would be open at night. You'd have to see for yourself.
Another option is SAFE walk. You can always borrow a computer.
Something else that may work: hotel desk clerk. If you can find some place that is hiring (and I'm sure there has got to be some in Madison) you can sit there all night without disruption and you don't need the computer tech reference.
I hope this helps. Sorry about taking the job but I fit too well and Tom likes me. Not to mention I know the guy who is leaving because he's in my Shamanism class. It was too good to pass up.
:-/ I need money for the wedding. Otherwise, it could've been all yours.

12/08/2005 5:47 PM  
Blogger Ubiquitous Leader SK said...

Oh, no worries about you getting the job. I kept meaning to get over there and then I kept putting it off. I totally know you need the money. I'm just not sure what's gonna happen with next semester.

Thanks for the tips though. Good luck with finals and such.

Who did you know that was leaving the CALS lab btw?? It would be too weird if it were the same guy that I know via Brian and Araby met at the CALS lab. It would make me laugh.

12/08/2005 5:56 PM  
Blogger IBC Reporter Bri-Kun said...

:hugs: good luck with the computer lab search. don't kill yourself though doing a bad retail job that will result in your unfortunate descent into crazy or bad health. i understand if you have to dip into the trip fund. :hugs again:

12/09/2005 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home